Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Our 'Big Adventure'..

We're back - and were 'safe and sound' until Mark disturbed a wasps nest in the garden on Friday!  Poor man.  He instinctively put his left arm up to shield his face.  It was badly stung and swelled up severely so he's now on antibiotics, lots of Piriton and painkillers.  It made him feel a bit rough for a few days but I think it's starting to get a bit better.

The holiday was a real experience, quite challenging at times and great fun.  We did 1,700 miles over two weeks (which is about as much as you'd want to do in a little car with limited suspension and no climate control!).  The car behaved herself beautifully and received lots of compliments and interest whenever we parked her up.  Mark was a very proud 'car parent'!!!!

Anyway, here are a few photos from the first phase of the trip.  On Day 1 we drove from Worcester to Harwich.  It's not a good journey, with lots of busy motorways AND the dreaded A14, so we gave ourselves plenty of time.  We arrived in Harwich with plenty of time to wander around and have a relaxed evening meal  before we had to book in at the port.

Here's Mark, enjoying his first ice-cream of the holiday and watching the world go by in Harwich...

Not long after our ferry went by - because the docks are further up river than the town...

I was delighted with our cabin and almost too excited to sleep...

There was plenty of space....

On Day 2 we drove round Rotterdam in the rush hour.  There's no SatNav in the car so I was navigating and the whole experience was pretty scary!  I was very relieved when we reached quieter roads and started the haul across Holland and down into Germany.  It took just over 4 hours of steady driving to get to the Nurburgring. 

We 'splashed out' for this part of the holiday and had booked ourselves into the hotel which is right by the circuit.  It was great to be able to pop the car into the hotel garage, take up our room, then get straight out into the event with minimal effort.  The first day of the 'Oldtimer Grand Prix' (the Ring's classic car event) was in full swing.

Here's Mark - posing with Fangio - at the front of the hotel!

The hotel from the stands on the north side of the circuit..

...and cars and people everywhere.

We absolutely loved the event.  We walked for miles round the circuit, selecting our favourite corners to watch the different groups of cars compete.  We ate dinner in the restaurant of the hotel on the Saturday evening then went back out onto the circuit to watch some beautiful 1960s cars racing into the dusk.

It was a perfect weekend for a couple of 'petrol heads' like us and a fabulous way to start the holiday.  I took this picture of Mark and the car on the morning that we left. 

Mark has taken an A4 copy of it into the office this week to remind himself of the reason for working!!!


  1. So glad you had a great time. Love reading about your adventures.

  2. It sounds like you had a lovely time. The cabin looks good. I didn't realise that they were so spacious! Men and cars...just loved the pose. I'm so glad it all went as planned. Joan

  3. Fabulous car! Glad you had a good time though I confess that it wouldn't be my idea of a great weekend:)

  4. Lovely to hear from you Jan, I'm glad you had a great time Your cabin looks great, I love that big window, right by the bed! I'll look forward to hearing about the rest of your trip. I'm trying to catch up on blogging my holiday before I go back to school. Thanks for your comment and for thinking of me. To be honest, I haven't done any preparation for my course! I was asked to read loads of children's books, which I've been doing since July, and I had to sit a few online tests which I also did in July. We were all given a list of recommended reading and bits like that, but I decided that as this was my last holiday with no work to do I simply wanted to enjoy it and not do anything course related. I know this might sound silly or a bit arrogant, but many of the people on my course are career changers or people straight out of uni, so have very little experience of school life or working with children - I think they will benefit most from the reading. As I've been a TA for 11 years and I did a degree in early childhood studies, I consider myself to already have a lot of knowledge and a big advantage over most of the other students, so decided I could afford to save all the work for September! I can't believe I have less than a week go now - I start on Monday. The only thing I have to do is an online enrolment before I attend my first day at uni next Wednesday, but the site doesn't open for a day or two so I will do that at the weekend.

  5. It sounds like you've both had a fantastic time, I look forward to hearing more about it. What a scary thing to happen to Mark with the wasps nest, I hope he's feeling better now.

  6. What a lovely time for you. It must have given you many memories to cherish!

  7. OHMYGOSH--your bed!! That window over your bed!!! I want a bed room like that!!! I can't wait to read the rest of your adventure. It sounds so very much fun!!!

  8. I hope Mark has recovered by now from the wasp sting which is not a good thing to happen especially if you're allergic to them. Once you got to your destination and were able to relax in your hotel and have fun at the circuit it must have been a highlight of your trip (apart from the cabin accommodation which looks very comfortable. (I'm not a good sailor myself and tolerate ferries etc. just so I can get over into mainland Europe, but once there I enjoy being navigator to my husband's driving). My son and husband would have enjoyed such an event also.