Pages

Tuesday 1 May 2012

It's raining again!

Welcome to Lance, Jane and Bonnie who have become followers recently.  Thanks also to all of you who commented on my last post.  It was really reassuring to find that you felt pretty much the same way as I did and shared some of my concerns.

Being British - AND having a classroom that opens directly to the elements without any shelter for my poor pupils - means that I've been pretty pre-ocuppied with the weather recently.  Apparently this April was the wettest since records began, but it's the wrong kind of rain.  I looked carefully at the chart behind the 'Country File' presenter and noticed that August last year had also well above average rainfall.  Clearly its the dry winters that are doing the damage.  I listened to a programme on Radio 4 as I travelled home last week.  It seems that nobody can really predict how much rain we need to relieve the drought situation properly.  I just feel sorry for my poor kids who are forced by school rules to move around a huge and very open school site without their outdoor coats.  How can a child who is drenched and uncomfortable be in the best frame of mind to learn?  Grrrr!


Anyway, between work, cooking, posting and crochet, I am also reading a fantastic book at the moment.  It's called 'The German English Girl' and is a novel about the Kindertransport.  I'd never heard of the author before but I love the way that he writes - its succinct without being simplified, if you see what I mean!  I was lucky enough to find a practically brand new copy of the book in a charity shop in Solihull last week.  Funnily enough I'd gone into the shop to shelter from yet another cloud burst!

Wouldn't it be lovely to see some blue skies?

7 comments:

  1. Come visit Utah, we have more days of blue skies than rainy days but of course, we are considered a desert climate even though we live next to the rocky mountains. Our schools will be out for the summer in the first week of June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry - am I being a bit dense - why aren't your pupils allowed their outdoor coats in the rain - especially the sort of rain we have been getting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jan:
    Thank you for such a warm welcome.

    Poor you, and poor pupils. It really does seem unsatisfactory that they should have to wait in the wet for classes to begin. We think that you may be right, and that it is the dry winters which are the cause of the problem.

    Warmest wishes from a sunny and dry Budapest!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing that your pupils have to move between separate blocks of classrooms rather than being all under one roof. I remember the school I went to (many years ago) had separate classrooms with verandahs in blocks, macs had to be left in the cloakrooms, so moving between classes was sometimes wet or slippy depending on the weather. It would be great to see a little sunshine wouldn't it?:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that might be a book which I like, I shall look out for it on my travels between charity shops. I've started buying all my books from charity shops recently, there's some great bargains to be had, and it's quite exciting when you happen to find a book you've been looking for stacked right there on the shelf. It's still raining here, when will it ever stop?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree more with Jo's comment above; I was going to say exactly the same thing about the book and that I will certainly look out for that in the charity shops! I love hearing other people's review's on books. I know isn't this weather terrible! Hoping it will get better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan, I agree with you a cold and wet child cannot be expected to sufficiently attend. It seems they should be able to wear their raincoats to and from classes. I hope you see the sun soon. We were in the 90s today. Thank you for your welcome. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete