Pages

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Re-discovering old friends...


This week I've been reading a book by Paullina Simons - The Girl In Times Square.  It's a big, 'chewy' and very emotional read.  The heroine wins the lottery but then has to handle some really difficult health and family problems, which are described very graphically.  I'm about three quarters of the way through and I'm hoping for a happy ending.  (To be honest, at the moment I'd settle for 'happy-ish'!)


Reading this book reminded me of the first Paullina Simons book I read - back in 2000 - The Bronze Horseman.  At the time it was by far my 'best book of the year'.  Several friends (and most of my family) read it around the same time and everyone loved it.  It was one of those books that you wanted to read the end to find out what happened but, at the same time, you didn't want to finish because it was such a good read.

Anyway, I filed it on my shelves under Fiction/War/Romance in 2000 and it hasn't been opened since.  It's occured to me over the last 24 hours that my shelves are full of books just waiting to be re-read. 


So I've decided that 2012 is going to be the year of my great 'Re-Read'.  I'm going to crack on and finish the current novel then dive into 'The Bronze Horsemen' again.  If I re-discover some greats along the way, I may post about them from time to time.  I also thought that I'd pop a picture and list near my profile so you can see how I get on. 

I wonder how many of these books will stand the test of time?

2 comments:

  1. I dont know whether any of those books will stand the test of time, I do know that reading is very therapeutic and I love getting my nose stuck in a book, my idea of pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Paullina Simons. I shall have to look out for her books when I go to the charity shop again.

    ReplyDelete